Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Misal

Some days back I was just counting about how long I am out of Kolkata. Oh…15 years now!!! in Mumbai and Pune.  And in these 15 years I have been in love with these cities. Yes, I miss Kolkata, how can I ever forget my Tilottama city! But both Mumbai and Kolkata have made places in my heart. By now I can understand and speak Marathi, I wait for the Ganpati utsav, love to watch Marathi Theater and of course the Maharashtra cuisine. Goda Masala, abundance of groundnut and dry coconut, the kari patta flavor though very different from our Bengali cuisine but very tasty. Thus, I became fond of chawli, thecha, missal, bangi, bhindi masala and mostly all of the dishes so much that now along with Bengali, Bihari recipes,  Maharashtrian dishes are also fondly and frequently made at my place.

I have already shared the recipe of Bharli Wangi (Stuffed Brinjal). Now today it is Maharashtrian Misal.


Ingredients

Pulses:
100gm green moong  
50 gms  matki/mat beans
10 gms Bengal gram whole
10 gms dried green peas

Other Ingredients

1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
Green chilies (as per your tolerance) finely chopped
Garlic Paste 1 tsp
Any vegetable oil 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Turmeric 1tsp
Jeera powder 1tbsp
Dhaniya powder 1tbsp
Lalmirch Powder as per taste
Sugar ½ tsp
Maharashtrain Goda Masala 2 tbsp
Dry coconut powder (optional) 1 tsp or as per choice
Whole spices: jeera and mustard
Water
Kari patta and coriander leaves for flavor

Preparation

Wash the pulses thoroughly and soak them overnight.
Take them out of water after being soaked and wash again and dry.
Prepare the Goda masala or you can buy the readymade one. I make this along with some of my neighbours together at the end of summer for the whole year and use it for different dishes.

Cooking                                                                                                                               

Heat a pan and add the whole spices and kari patta.
Add the chopped onion and tomato and fry till light brown.
Add the garlic paste, green chillies, salt and turmeric.
Now, add the pulses and all the spices including the dry coconut powder. Mix well and cook.
You will get a nice flavor of the mixed spices and see the oil coming up.
Now add water and pressure cook with 2 whistles.
Wait for the cooker to open. Check for salt and if the gravy is too runny dry it till your needed consistency.
Garnish with Coriander leaves.
You can also garnish with finely chopped onions and sev. Add some lemon juice.
Serve with homemade pav, rice or dalia.





No comments:

Post a Comment